• Kansas City Premises Liability Lawyers

    Slip-and-falls, as well as dog bite cases, are just two examples of a broader legal classification of cases known as premises liability. Premises liability also includes many other types of injuries incurred by individuals on property owned by someone else.

    Premises Liability cases can be difficult, especially when going up against Insurance companies who don’t want to pay. Our team of experienced premises liability attorneys will fight to get you the compensation you deserve!

    Ask a Kansas City Premises Liability Lawyer: What is Premises Liability?

    Under Missouri and Kansas law, people who own or control property owe a duty of care to those who are lawfully on the premises. This duty of care requires the property owner or controller to take reasonable steps to maintain the property in a reasonably safe condition and to warn visitors of any potential dangers that are not immediately obvious. When this duty is breached and someone is injured as a result, the property owner may be held liable for the victim’s damages.

    Premises Liability Laws in Kansas & Missouri

    The laws governing premises liability in Kansas and Missouri are similar but not identical. In both states, property owners owe a duty of care to visitors to their property. This duty of care varies depending on the type of visitor.

    In Kansas, the statute of limitations for premises liability claims is two years from the date of the injury. In Missouri, personal injury law states that the statute of limitations is five years for premises liability claims.

    Examples of Negligence by Property Owners

    There are many ways in which a property owner or controller can fail to live up to the duty of care owed to visitors. Some common examples include:

    • Failing to adequately maintain the property, resulting in dangerous conditions such as broken stairs, cracked sidewalks, or icy parking lots;
    • Failing to properly inspect the property for hazards;
    • Failing to warn visitors of potential dangers on the premises;
    • Allowing known hazards to remain unaddressed; and,
    • Allowing dangerous animals onto the property

    If you have been injured due to a negligent property owner, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering, and other damages. An experienced Kansas City premises liability attorney can help you understand your rights and options and fight for the compensation you deserve.

    • We have years of experience handling complex personal injury cases, and look forward to helping you with yours.

    Common Injuries in Kansas City Premises Liability Cases

    There are a variety of injuries that can occur as a result of a premises liability accident. Some of the most common include:

    • Broken bones
    • Lacerations
    • Sprains and strains
    • Head injuries
    • Neck injuries
    • Back injuries
    • Spinal cord injuries
    • Paralysis
    • Brain damage
    • Burns
    • Amputations
    These types of accidents can occur in a variety of locations and settings, including:

    • Apartment complexes
    • Grocery stores
    • Parking lots and parking garages
    • Public parks
    • Restaurants
    • Retail stores
    • Schools and daycares
    • Sports stadiums and arenas
    • Theaters and concert venues

    If you have been injured on another person’s property, it is important to understand your legal rights and options. An experienced Kansas City premises liability attorney can help.

    Types of Property Visitors and Their Duty of Care

    There are three general categories of visitors on another person’s property:


    People who are expressly or impliedly invited to the property for the owner’s financial benefit. For example, customers at a store or patients at a doctor’s office. Property owners owe invitees the highest duty of care.


    People who are on the property for their own purposes with the express or implied permission of the owner. For example, social guests or door-to-door salespeople. Property owners owe licensees a medium duty of care, which requires them to warn licensees of any hidden dangers on the property that the licensee is not likely to discover himself.


    People who are on the property without the owner’s permission and for their own purposes. Property owners generally owe trespassers the lowest duty of care, which is only to refrain from causing intentional injury.

    Do Trespassers Have Rights in Kansas City?

    Generally speaking, trespassers do not have many rights. In Kansas and Missouri, property owners are not required to warn trespassers of potential dangers on the property. However, there are some exceptions to this rule. For example, if the trespasser is a child, the property owner may be held liable if if was known that children were likely to be on his or her property and failed to take reasonable steps to keep them safe. A landowner may also be liable if he or she intentionally injures a trespasser or if the landowner knows that trespassers regularly come onto the property and fails to take reasonable steps to prevent them from being injured.

    Who Can Be Held Liable for My Injuries?

    In most cases, the property owner or controller of the property where the injury occurred will be held liable. This could be the owner of a retail store, a landlord, a business proprietor, or even a government entity. In some cases, multiple parties may be held responsible for an injury. For example, if you are injured in a slip and fall accident at a grocery store, both the store owner and the company that cleans the floors may be held liable.

    To prove negligence, your injury lawyer will investigate how you were injured and whether the property owner knew or should have known about the danger. An experienced premises liability lawyer will be able to determine who is responsible for your injuries.

    What Damages Can I Recover in a Premises Liability Claim?

    The damages you may be entitled to recover will depend on the facts of your premises liability case. In general, you may be able to recover both economic and noneconomic damages. Economic damages include:

    • Medical bills
    • Lost wages
    • Property damage

    Noneconomic damages include:

    • Pain and suffering
    • Emotional distress
    • Loss of enjoyment of life

    The experienced premises liability attorneys at our firm can help you determine what damages you may be entitled to recover if you’ve been injured on someone else’s property. Contact us today to learn more.

    Types of Premises Liability Cases We Handle

    Our firm handles all types of premises liability cases, including but not limited to:

    • Slip-and-fall accidents
    • Dog bite cases
    • Amusement park accidents
    • Carpet or floor accidents
    • Elevator accidents
    • Escalator accidents
    • Inadequate security
    • Fire injuries
    • Lead poisoning
    • Negligent security
    • Parking lot falls
    • Premises injuries to children
    • Sidewalk falls
    • Unsafe building injuries

    Our team of experienced premises liability attorneys will fight to get you the compensation you deserve! Contact us now to file a premises liability claim.

    Contact an Experienced Kansas City Premises Liability Lawyer Now

    If you’ve been injured by a negligent property owner, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries, medical bills, lost wages, and more. Let us fight for you! We value the attorney-client relationship and will work tirelessly to get the justice you deserve. To schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced Kansas City premises liability lawyers, call us now at (816) 251-1001 or fill out our online contact form.

    • We have years of experience handling complex personal injury cases, and look forward to helping you with yours.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    With a contingent-fee agreement, your attorney does not charge a direct, hourly rate or require a set retainer fee. Instead, the attorney receives a percentage of the settlement or verdict as payment. This arrangement allows many injured persons to bring lawsuits that they would otherwise be unable to afford.

    Our main office is located at 201 W 47th Street in Kansas City, Missouri. We're on the 2nd floor of the building on the Southeast corner of 47th and Wyandotte on the Country Club Plaza. Both street and garage parking are available.

    It’s a good question. However, there is no one-size-fits-all answer to the question when to file a personal injury lawsuit. To put it one way, anytime you have suffered injuries due to someone else’s negligence and you are at risk of not receiving adequate compensation, it is likely you will need to sue in order to be properly compensated.
    The Nail Law Firm in Kansas City, MO
    Skip to content